Monday, October 22, 2012

(Big) Man Down!!!

 For those of us that are lucky enough to live in the Great State of Texas – or have travelled to DFW from other parts of the country - we've lost a much loved member of the family.

Big Tex, beloved icon of the State Fair of Texas, died on Friday, October 19, due to an electrical fire.  Well, actually it could be said that he “fried” that day.  It happened mid-morning to the horror and despair of those that were in attendance.  And I have to say that the news spread outside the gates of the fair like, uhm, wildfire? 

Thanks to the ever present phones/cameras there were pictures all over the internet within minutes of the fire, even before the firefighters arrived.  Eerie pictures.  Some with only his face visible in front of the flames that were on the back of his head, which gave him the look of a fiery halo.  The look on his face changed from friendly to angry, maybe a bit insane.  Not a face I’d like to meet in the dark.

The only parts that survived were his arms and his belt buckle.  Don’t know how much damage was done to his frame.  Considering how long he’s been hanging around the fair (since 1952), I’m pretty sure that it’s a lot.   

The State Fair folks say that he’ll be replaced next year.  Bigger (he's over 50’ tall).  Better.  And still decked out in his Dickies.  But may I please make a suggestion?  Oh, okay – a few suggestions.

Big Tex was originally built as a huge Santa Claus. If you think he looked weird, you should have seen what he looked like back then.  If I had seen him as a child that would have scarred me for life!  Since being purchased by the State Fair folks, he’s been reworked/redesigned over the years, but now I think it’s time for a new shape for our long legged hero.

If you’ve never had the honor/thrill of seeing him in person and the pictures on line still don’t give you a clear mental picture, then allow me to help you get a better idea of what he looked like. 

If you’ve ever seen an old(er) rancher then you can visualize Tex’s body shape.  Long skinny legs, pot belly, massive chest.  Basically the shape of my dad.  Not that that’s a bad thing, but I see that body type quite a bit around these parts.  Not that every one of them is a cowboy (or an engineer as in my dad’s case).  But you get the idea.  Maybe with better design he can lose that belly (because we all know that belly fat is unhealthy).

His face, even with his permanent grin, was a bit off-putting.  If eye-to-eye with a toddler I would consider him scary looking.  I’m sure he was quite handsome in the beginning.  But I’m afraid that he hasn’t weathered the elements as well as hoped.  If I had met a man that looked like him when I was a child – let’s just say that I probably would have been in need of “years and years of therapy.  And if you think I’m afraid of spooky, jump-out-at-ya movies now – it could have been 10x worse.  Not that I didn’t love Big Tex.  I just wouldn’t have wanted to run in to him on long, dark country road, in an alley, or be in front of him in the line at the bank.

So, rest in peace, Big Tex.  I’m sure we’ll see you next year.  Bigger.  Stronger.  Better wired.  Still lookin’ sharp in your Dickies.

Next year we’ll go back to the fair.  And if we’re lucky enough to be meeting up with friends and/or family, we’ll be able to tell all, “Meet you at Big Tex!” 

And can hardly wait to hear the old familiar, "Howdy, folks!"  The perfect Texas-styled greeting!

No comments:

Post a Comment