Monday, August 13, 2012

A Birthday Present for My Youngest

 My brain needs someone that can take dictation – straight from my brain to a repository somewhere.  I’ll be driving down the road and the most marvelous idea will flitter across my brain.  But when I get to the point when I can actually write anything – poof!  Gone.  I’d love it if someone – or something – would be the idea collector for me so that at a later place & time I’ll have the luxury of browsing through my thoughts and choose whichever one suits my fancy.  Or fits the bill.

Whatever.

I got to spend a little time with youngest via phone call last weekend.  He’s just turned 28 – all growed up.  His job has changed.  And his goals have changed.  What a surprise (nice) and a shock (completely unexpected) that he’s going back to school. You go, boy!!!!  He’s going to take some sort of fancy-schmancy programming classes for certification.  With the training and certification he should be able to get the sort of job he really wants.  I hope so.  Because he’s been floundering for a while.  But that’s okay.  My children all have my permission (as if they really need it) to change their minds and go off and do something else than what they originally intended.  Part of the plan of life.  

I asked him what he’d like for his birthday.  If there’s anything specific he wants.  “No, Mom, I’m good.”  So I gave him a birthday wish instead.

I wished him to have adventures, great ones.  I want him to continue to try new things, meet new friends, taste new foods and see new sights.  I want him to do things that he never thought he’d experience.  Do things on a dare or just because.  It doesn’t have to make sense – just as long as it’s legal and he doesn’t get hurt or he hurts anyone else (at least not on purpose).

At this point in his life the only things that “tie him down” are his job and school.  But until he really & truly has to be “all growed up” and has the responsibility of marriage & a family, I want him to experience life.  To the fullest.

I want him to have great memories.  Great outlandish wild stories to tell his kids and grandkids.  Tales that they’ll want to hear again and again.  Memories that he’ll want to revisit, as well.

When we lived in Germany I’m sure that I saw a lot of great things – but I sure couldn’t tell you what.  I’ve forgotten all of it.  I bet I have a journal somewhere but it’s probably buried in the bottom of a closet, box or file where I might have been smart enough to write down what we did, where we went, etc.  What a shame.  Living on our own completely away from our families was a great adventure.  I just wish I could remember it.

So if you’re ever to the point that you have a grown up child and don’t know what to give them, do as I did.  Give them your permission and advice to try on life.  Have them take pictures.  Ask them to tell you where they’ve been.  Who were they with?  Was it was as fun as they thought it would be?

Tell them that it’s okay to test the saying, “Ain’t life grand?!?”

Because it is. 

They’ll thank you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment