Monday, April 1, 2013

I'm Still Here!

So much has gone on over the last month. 

Spring break - that just about sums it up. 

Our boys came in from Arizona (oldest) and SJ, CA (youngest).  My sweet daughter-in-law wasn't supposed to be coming (new job, not enough $$, etc.) but lo! and behold!  There walking right next to my oldest was his lovely bride.  I didn't see her at first - but when I did I almost knocked her down.  We do so love this girl! 

Eveyone kept it a secret from me - and from the Divine Mz. B.  She and my DIL are "twins".  In the past it's been wherever my DIL was - Mz. B was not too far behind.  Oldest has been threatened - you better do right by her.  She's a keeper and we like her better than him.  Of course that's nonsense . . .  Hmmm. 

And then youngest brought a girl home, too.  She's divine!  She funny.  Jumped right in to help with anything that needed to be done.  Made us laugh.  She put up with our hilarity ("easily amused" continues to carry on!) and we didn't even scare her.  Not one whit.  (Darn.  We did it wrong!)  We hope she gets to come back.  She just fit right in.  That's the kind of girl (young lady, woman, whatever) we really like.  She and youngest look good together - and act good together as well.  Plus (and this is a big one) all the Gkids adore her.  I can't think of any better recommendation!

I asked Oldest how I should behave - proper, quiet, shy, etc.  He gave me the best advice, "Just fly your freak flag, Mom."  So I did!

It was fun to watch Youngest and +1 as they went through a box full of awards, certificates, and yearbooks.  He had left a closet full of boy toys and had asked why did I keep them after all this time?  They weren't mine to give, but when he gave us the green light - out the door they went.  To a very excited 13 year old Star Wars fan.  And I'm sure his parents are very grateful for that 4' long light saber.  Tee. Hee.

All four of our guests got introduced to the extended family at a special dinner at Older's house.  LOTS of people.  Didn't seem to phase any of them.  Everyone just rocked on as if we'd all been together for years.  (We don't intentionally try to run off those that are dating our boys, but it's happened.  Well, not really our fault but we were rooting for the boys.  This time?  Tables have turned!!)

We got to celebrate Older Gson's Eagle Court of Honor.  What a spectacular celebrationt!  Youngest got to sit in the Eagles' Nest.  That was an awesome sight.  His nephew was so pleased that his Uncle Taylor got to be there.  And I think maybe his Uncle Taylor was just as thrilled.

Our visit with all of them was way too short.  Not enough hours in the day.  Too much food to eat.  Too many restaurants we wanted to visit.  (I think we all gained about 10 lbs. each!!)  So hard trying to fit in everything/everybody that they wanted to visit.  Sadly Younger was the one who had the shortest visit with them.  Her working hours were ruining her seeing them.  But she had a new job and couldn't take off the time.

I'm so grateful we had the time to spend.  Sometimes it's hard to realize that they're all "growed up" with lives of their own, schooling, jobs, their own circle of friends, totally different likes and dislikes than when they were kids. 

Sometimes their growing older is the pits. How did this happen?!?  If I could figure out how to slow down time just a little teensey bit - I'd be happy.  Especially when we all get together.  I like to sit in a corner and just watch them interact.  Seems like they haven't skipped a beat.

I'm SO grateful that we got to spend time together and strengthen the ties that bind us together.

No comments:

Post a Comment