Friday, May 31, 2013

Good Times

Just got a call from my dear, sweet, talented, TALENTED friend Lynn.  She just invited Jim & me to be with at her being sealed to her husband Mert.  They were only together for a short time here.  But after our trip to the temple, she'll get to be with him for all eternity THERE!  And that's what counts.  She's an amazing woman.  And if Mert had enough good sense to marry her - then he was an amazing man.  Anybody who has John Wayne as his hero is all right in my book!  This is a real honor for us.  And a dream come true for her.  And we're grateful that we got to be at both wedding ceremonies.  For time.  And now for all eternity.

Got to spend last weekend with my Gson Eric.  What a blast we had!  Movie out, movies in, eating out (Thai, Vietnamese, and Sweet Tomatoes), cooking in, checking out boots & cowboy hats at a local western wear shop, laughing, hugs, errand running, visiting the DFW National Cemetary to honor heros and to give him a history lesson, church, decorating the front yard with American flags in honor of Memorial Day & his hero Poppy, more laughing, and finally ending with his learning how to make his favorite meal from his Mimi (Buttermilk Chicken, if you must ask).  Yes, his mother has the recipe.  And, yes, she does cook it & has learned an ever better way to make it (what did we do before slow cookers?).  He was so proud of himself.  And I bet his mom will let him cook it himself from time to time.

His parents were very gracious in letting me have him for the long weekend.  They were going out of town to celebrate their anniversary and one lucky soul (well, really two lucky souls) was (were?) going to have 24/7 access to him.  Jim & I were the winners!!!  Eric leaves in short bit to staff Scout camp for two months.  So I got extra time with him before he leaves.  So I guess this means when he goes on his mission I'll get him for a month before he goes?  No?  Darn.

I'm grateful than all my Gkids live close.  If any of them ever decide to move outside of the DFW area - we're in trouble.  And the boys?  Well, when they have kids there just going to have to figure out how to make a living here!

I've joked for years that I'd love to have a compound (no, not like the wackos in Waco) where everyone could have their own house and we could have access to all Gkids all the time.  My kids were lucky in that their Meemaw lived a short drive to Oak Cliff and so got to visit her often.  Lucky Meemaw.  Luckier them.

Summer's coming soon.  I've declared it so by having my toenails painted the brightest cobalt blue.  That's my official declaration for summer arriving.  And with the summer, HOPEFULLY, more time with the other three Gkids.  Geography/schedules have not always been in our favor in getting to play with them.  I've got stuff planned. 

Attention K-mart shoppers, I mean, Gkids!  I'm going to get you!  You parents have been warned and if have to alert the media I will.  "Mimi kidnaps Gkids.  Again . . . "

And we'll have fun building memories.  Laugh a little.  Hug a little.  Go on some adventures. You have been notified.  Save some time for me this summer.

Time passes all too quickly.  My time with you is too precious.  Worth more than all the riches in the world.  I want good memories, enough to last through the eternities. 

The happiest thing you could ever say to one another would be, "Do you remember the time that Mimi did (insert crazy stunt here)?" 

Or "Can you believe that she danced in the (car, church, Kroger's, Half Price Books - take your pick from a LONG list) and didn't care if anyone was looking?"

I pulled some stuff on my kids - but with my Gkids, it seems that at times I don't have a filter.  But I'm fine with that

Let the good times roll!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment