Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Holidays Just “Flu” Right By Me

Note:  Yes, I know this is not a timely subject.  I'm running on Mormon Standard Time.  I've been trying to play catch-up since the holidays and not doing a very good job of it.  Heck.  I just now took down my Christmas decorations at work!  Better late than never?
I hate to admit it but the holiday season of 2012-2103 was pretty danged dismal.
The week before Christmas – felt a little puny.  But that’s nothing new.  I drive myself (and those around me) crazy with all the holiday traditions.  And end up getting sick.
But this year I did so much better – or so I thought.  Made little stops here and there picking up gift cards and/or goodies.  Didn’t spend too much –at least not as bad as in previous years.  Decided to do my last run to WM & Kohl’s the weekend before Christmas.  Heck! I even made plans to wrap presents vs. my just handing them their stuff in Target sacks (a cherished family tradition).  But it was not to be.
On the Friday before Christmas I went downhill faster than an Olympic skier (or, since this is Texas, faster than a kid on an ice block barreling down a steep hill).  At 8:00 AM I as fine.  9:30 – maybe a little sniffley.  11:20 – I was out the door, on my way home.  I knew I was sick when I passed on by WM and Kohl’s.  I didn’t care how much more shopping I had to do.  I was sick.
We were invited to my department party that evening.  Early in the day I told my manager that yes, indeedy, Jim & I would be there.  So our evening plans changed pretty fast, too.  No party.  No shopping.  No stopping for treats on the way home.  Just a straight shot to my driveway and then to my couch.
My usual holiday time, rundown, tired, not eating right sickness usually lasted only last two days at the longest.  But not this year.  Nope.  This just kept on and on and on.  I didn’t realize that I had the flu, until I heard all the news about the flu on the TV.  Oh - that explained it!
If had known I had the flu, I would have taken some precautions and not have exposed others.  I feel like I was Typhoid Mary.  And if I did infect anybody else?  I'm SO sorry. 
I did get Christmas together for everyone (quick trips to WM where I got to practice speed shopping).  And I did get presents wrapped (staying up to 2:00 AM on Christmas day).  I was existing on not-so-healthy food and ice chips.  Nothing cures the flu faster than a handful of Pepperidge Farms cookies and some ice chips.  I managed to get some warms soups down me – but I was much more satisfied with the ice. 
We did go through the temple when I was much better.  We got to go through with one of our Gdaughters – going on a mission to Rome in the spring.  Their parents were there.  The adopted parents were, too.  And several folks from her ward.  That was truly awesome.
But we didn’t do our usual movie run.  No one was in the mood or most were cash poor.  The Gkids had other things going on, too.  So all-in-all it was a much quieter Christmas than usual.  But Christmas this year will (hopefully) be much livelier.  We’ll all be well.  Won’t overspend (ha!).  Those that can be home will be.  And we will all share some time together in the true Spirit of the Season.  And remember the reason for the Season.
Better start my list! Because I'm going to have to check it more than twice!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment