Friday, January 25, 2013

How do you frisk a cat?

Carefully.

My cat Mister is such a treasure.  Right up front I want everyone to know that. He's not the brightest. But he loves me.  And has been finding extra special ways to prove it.

We have rabbits in the hood.  They come from a street over.  They're just sharing their little hairry love.  Mister avoids them.  Can't figure them out. I figured they were safe from them.  I mean - he won't mess with the 2 lb. Chihuahua from next door, so I guess something "mid-size" would more fit his purpose.

At first the neighbors thought they were cute.  But after folks started finding little pot holes in their yard some weren't so sure anymore.  I am not one of them.  I think they're cute.  And I like watching them playing in the front yard while carefully filling in their freshly dug holes.I try to sneak up on them but I'm kind of hard to miss, if you know what I mean.

Last weekend was wonderful & spirit filled.  We went to the funeral of a friend's dear husband (mentioned in an earlier post).  Beautiful music.  Great talks & rememberances.  Lots of laughs.  It was a true celebration of his life.

Then we went to the Temple that evening with kids and a Gdaughter. Afterwards we helped close down a Spring Creek BBQ.  Now - that's a rowdy crowd I am proud to hang with! We had good food, better company and just have the best ol' time!

But then?  A surprise was waiting for us when we pulled into our driveway late Saturday night.

We pulled into the driveway and saw that there were no bunnies visiting our front yard.  Mister was racing across the yard and I asked him where were the bunnies?  Then we got to the porch and discovered that he had killed a baby bunny and brought to us as a tribute.  He was so proud.  Wanted me to see it first thing.  Showing off his hunting skills.  Whatever.  Jim had to take care of it for me.  I talked to Mister and told him no more baby bunnies.

But I guess he thought he had a good thing going.

Wednesday night Jim was picking up a piece of trash, walked to the trash can muttering to himself (which considering our household is not all that unusual), and tossed something in.  But then he covered it up with more trash.  Now I was a little curious. He told me that I had better start frisking Mister whenever he came into the house. Why would I need to do that?  Because he'd brought in a present for us (not the literal us - he meant the "me" us.) and dropped it on the floor in the den.  This baby was black so it would have been hard to see it when Mister had it in his mouth.

Then to add insult to injury - he jumped up on the arm of my recliner, all proud of himself knowing that he had brought the best present EVER to the mom he adored.  But only after he'd rolled all over it to mark his territory and make it his own.

Oh. My. Heck.  You've not lived till you've had a 30 lb. furry paper weight that smells of rancid dead bunny rabbit and he's proudly rubbing all over you and the arm of the chair.

What a monster I've raised.  Tonight - a bit of a bath for the cat.  This should be fun.

I've got bandaids, 1st aid cream and towels close at hand. No, silly, not for Mister, but for me.

Sigh.


1 comment:

  1. Beloved said that every once in awhile our cat would bring home a present to his late wife. Thankfully, the cat holds me in slightly less esteem. I have yet to receive any moribund gifts.

    Oopsgottagogottacatintheovenbye!

    ReplyDelete