Wednesday, March 21, 2012

March 21, 2012

I like singing to the moon.

No, not howling. That's a topic for another day.

We have a "family song". I learned it in junior high (you can tell my age because now it would be called middle school). It was our warm-up song in choir.

I see the moon. The moon sees me
Down through the leaves of the old oak tree.
Please let the light that shines on me shine on the one I love.

Over the mountains, over the seas.
Back where my heart is longing to be.
Please let the light that shines on me shine on the one I love.

I've sung that to all my babies. And my grandbabies. And other people's babies. And grandbabies.

It's been sung in Germany, in Texas and in California. And hopefully other places in between by my kids and Gkids.

But my favorite place was the River Walk in San Antonio.

Down there for spring break several years ago. Long hot fun filled days, but welcomed wandering around downtown and ending up at the River Walk for dinner. (This was a mandatory rest stop for any/all family members or visitors per my grandmother.)

After dinner I took the Gkids that were w/ us to help relieve little jitters in little bodies. They have always had excellent manners but sometimes it's just so hard to sit. Still. For any length of time.

We wandered down the canal until we got to a bridge. And if you stop under the bridge, in just the right place at just the time and look up with just the right angle - you can see the moon shining down thru the branches & leaves of the trees. Talk about timing!

So I gathered my Gbabies and we sang to the moon. And our accompanists were a mariachi band and someone on the bridge playing a bagpipe. All with different tunes but we were all in the same key. Moments like this don't come around very often.

So today, thanks to Younger, I have a beautiful painting on my wall that we collaborated on while she was in high school. She did the painting & I did the scripting. My whole living room revolves (or will someday) around her artwork. From the colors of the walls to the couches to the other goodies hanging on the walls.

I thought at one time to let her have it so she could have it hanging in her living room. But someone wiser than I reminded me that this was truly a gift from the artist. And that I should be the keeper. She'll get it later, just not right now.

DH knows that there is a "list" of stuff that gets grabbed when/if the house ever catches on fire.

1. Open the front door and yell at the critters to run.
2. Grab scrapbooks, the tree painting, and me.
3. Hopefully insurance will cover the rest.

Do you have a family song? When was the last time you gathered your babies (big or small, short or tall) and sang a song to their heart? If not, you should.

Turn around and they're two.
Turn around and they're four.
Turn around and they're a young one
Heading out of the door.

Grab a kid. Grab a hug. Plant a few smoochies and squishes on them.

Sing to the moon.

You'll thank me later.

4 comments:

  1. my mom always sang "where have all the flowers gone" to me when I was little and I couldn't sleep. Now I sing it to my children. Don't know if that counts. We don't sing it everywhere we go, though. Just when the babies can't sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't really have one song, but we sing everywhere we go. All the time. My mom and dad taught me to love music, especially making it. And I am teaching my kids the same thing. Thanks for starting a blog, Auntie. I am excited to get to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. On further reflection, I need to add that my sweetheart always sings Please Come to Boston, and Time in a Bottle to my kids when they are little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please Come to Boston is one of my favorites. Heart wrenching but I still love it!!!

      Delete