Thursday, March 22, 2012

March 22, 2012

I don’t like – being invisible.

Invisible? Yes!!!

I’ve discovered as I’m going through my “growing up stage” (AKA growing better not older), that the “more experienced” I’ve become – the less people see me.

Case in point – went to a make-up store. Was wandering the aisles looking for a specific product. Now this place is crawling with staff, going from display to merchandise racks, stopping to ask customers if they were finding everything they need, etc. Except for me. The first time it happened I was between 2 other but younger women. The staff members addressed them – but ignored me. I didn’t think too much about but this happened 2 more times while I was in the store. Hmmm. Apparently their business is booming – if one is in the right age category.

I should have asked for a manager. I usually do in a case like this but I was in a hurry to get to my next stop so I decided to just leave. And took my cold hard cash with me. Oh, okay. It wasn’t cash. It was a lukewarm debit card, but you know what I mean. And this happens a lot more than I realized.

A few days later I was with my daughter taking care of some business at a local store. I wasn’t invisible there. But apparently my name is now “Dear”. Really? REALLY?!? This is the 2nd time in 2 weeks that this has happened. The 1st time this happened was when I was in a shop where I was addressed as “Dear”. The guy beind the counter was quite a bit younger than me. I don’t know him. He doesn’t know me. And I addressed that real quick. “You do not know me. I have no relationship with you other than your taking my money. You may not call me ‘Dear’. You may call me ma’am or Mrs. Bratton. But I don’t know you well enough to call me that.” Amazing. He took my payment right quick after that. The 2nd time was from someone close to my age. She just laughed it off. Okay. The debit card goes back in the wallet and I go back out the door.

Not only am I becoming invisible, my age bracket is now the stuff of jokes and lame scenes that are supposed to be funny. Listen here! I may be older, not as quick as I used to be (physically that is) but my brain, my personality, etc. are doing just fine. And I will admit that I thought these things were funny, too, until they got to be too close to home. Or was it too close to my age?

I’m a fun and funny person. I’m kind. My Gkids adore me. My kids put up with me. My dear sweet husband – well, let’s just say he’s gotten used to me and my weird ways. And all the critters in my house follow me adoringly. How can this be? They all love me!

But I’m not invisible. I’m here. $$ in hand. Do not ignore me. I don’t bite (very hard). And I’ve had all my shots, so I’m not really dangerous. Listen here! I've got an attitude and I know how to use it!

And if I continue to get these type of reactions when I go shopping, I’ll just have the last word(s).

Bless your heart.

And if you’re from Texas or the South, you KNOW what that means!

No comments:

Post a Comment