Monday, March 26, 2012

March 26, 2012

I love technology – when it works.

And work yesterday it did. Well, sort of. But not at first.

I was working on Jim’s laptop trying to get into a very cool website that I learned about in Relief Society. www.createfan.com is a cool tool for genealogy work. Instead of all the info displayed in a form or on a tree, it’s on a fan. Extremely cool visual. Let’s you see in a very unique way how much of your genealogy has been done, who’s missing, etc.

Now I’m grateful that Jim has a laptop. But it is s-l-o-w. And my patience runs out way before I can get logged in, registered, etc. Kept getting kicked out. The site just would not let me in to play. At this point I’m thinking “ball peen hammer” when, out of the blue, ta da! Oldest and Our Girl are video calling me!

Of course I’m a dork where all things technical are concerned, so it took DH a bit to get me set up. I could hear/see them, but they could only hear me. Which I didn’t realize when I made the comment that if I had known they were calling I’d have put on a bra (do NOT insert mental picture here). Oldest told me that it was okay because he had his “bro” on. (Now you can insert your mental picture right here.) After that
DH did his magic. Then – through the miracle of science – I could both see and hear my kids! Had a wonderful conversation with the 2 of them.

I do love talking/seeing them in such a fashion, although I’m a firm believer in face-to-face meetings. But I will be happy with this – for now.

I will admit that my homesickness for the boys and OG has lessened quite a bit since DH installed this toy for me. He originally put it in so that he could visit w/ the Gkids in Grand Prairie. He gets Gkid hungry if he doesn’t get to see them (not just the ones in GP, but all of them) on a regular basis. Gets all kind of antsy. Has to get his Poppy fix in. But I’m the one who has benefited the most.

Now, if only Youngest will get on the ball and drop in at Oldest’s place from time to time so that he can call/see his dear old gray haired mother. (Hey – I pull any card I can to make him feel guilty.)

I do complain that I don’t hear from him near enough. But he’s busy getting all growed up. He has things to do. People to see. Places to go. He does miss us (I hope). And his nieces & nephews miss him terribly. And his sisters, too. But from time to time I do get an unexpected call from him. Makes my day. And my cheeks start to hurt because I’m grinning so BIG!

So – thanks be to the ones who are terribly clever, smart & creative to have come up with such wonderful means of communication. Whether it’s cell phone, texting, internet, blogging – thank you!!!

And speaking of blogs, here are the 3 that I follow on a daily basis:

http://theravelledsleave.blogspot.com/ (Wise, kind and funny words from my child bearing years BFF. Still one of my most fav people on earth.)
http://www.nieniedialogues.com/ (NOTE: there’s a great article on the author Stephanie in this week’s People magazine. Check it out!)
http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/ (NOTE: fabulous web site for all weight surgery patients or anyone who wants healthy recipes & tips)

Which blogs do you follow? Share your recommendations. The more the merrier.

I work for a chemical company so I get to throw out “Better living through science.” quite a bit.

These inventions are proof of that – “MUCH better living through science” so that I can keep in touch my kids, family & friends and learn more about the world I live in.

Huzzah!

No comments:

Post a Comment