Monday, April 9, 2012

The Joys & Blunders of Growing Old(er)

I’ve decided that this growing old(er) crap isn’t for sissies – which I definitely am (older but only sometimes a sissie).

Because of foot problems (bunion + messed up tendons + fractured toe) I’m now at that stage where I get to wear those lovely old lady shoes from SAS. They are comfy but at $150 a pair (I’ll take a pause here while you catch your breath) – I’m almost ready to say that I’ll be happy to do without. Unfortunately that isn’t the case. The pair I got look okay w/ jeans but they’re not the least bit girly. Or anywhere near pretty. But the damage to my foot requires a bit of TLC – which these shoes offer in spades. So for now, it’ll do, Pig, it’ll do.

Surgery wasn’t discussed. Which I’m glad for. At this point it’s just a bunion that’s screaming its head off and tendons that are messed up due to over compensating for the way I’m walking to not hurt my bunion. And now there’s the issue of arthritis settling in on the top of my foot. PLUS zigging when I should have been zagging resulting in my driving my foot into a step which hurt my toe. This all makes my feet all that much more attractive. Lovely.

I missed church yesterday. But I had to choose between our meetings (with a leg hiked up in a chair – not a really a problem but I knew that I would NOT stay off my feet cuz I’d want to visit, stroll the halls, etc.) OR going to GP for Eric’s ordination as a Teacher and a celebratory family dinner afterwards. You know who won.

Eric’s ordination was awesome. There were at least 10 good Priesthood holders in the circle. All of his “dads” (real & adopted), the Bishopric, the YM presidency, and his Poppy. The room was really crowded but no one seemed to mind. Eric takes his priesthood responsibilities very seriously and doesn’t mess around like some of the others do. He’s a joy to watch. He has good leaders and great parents that are teaching this young Jedi in the true ways of The Force. Strong this one is. And he's going to be the droid that everyone will want. Trust me on this one.

Got to spend some time on Saturday with Younger. Typical girlie lunch - soup, salad and breadsticks with a side of shopping at Walmart tossed in. We don't often get the chance to spend time alone with each other. So it was a great treat to greet, eat & meet.

She's a lovely woman who has a lot on her plate. She's trying so hard to do what's right and she has met plenty of obstacles. And she has so many more to face. But she keeps plugging on. And holding on. Her path ahead is very rocky but I have no doubts that she'll continue doing what's right. Her choices haven't always been the best but she is trying. Let's just say that she's a better woman than I. Strong in ways that I couldn't even imagine. She has great resources available. A good ward and bishop. Loving siblings. And parents that are rooting for her and her kids. Oh - and prayers. Let there always be prayers.

It's Monday. A good start to the week.

Be gentle & kind. You never know who's watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment