Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Being in the Mother Hood

Mother's Day is next Sunday. A time when Hallmark stock goes up and the US Postal Service actually makes money. Am I a cynic?  No, just a realist.

I've not always been a fan of this particular holiday.  I was when the kids were small. I loved the little gifts, the drawings, the hugs.  But as they've grown there's this nervous embarrassed stammer, shuffling of feet, with a "now what" look on their faces. 

And I really don't mind that.  It was easier when they were young. But our relationship has changed.  I still mother them - as much as they'll let me.  But from a distance. 

This weekend, call me.  Let's chat.  Take a picture of what thrills you or makes you happy & send it my way.  Tell me that you love me, that you're safe & well and that will make ME happy.

I've thought of words of wisdom that could be shared with younger mothers and this is what I've come up with:

For all you younger mothers, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  In spite of all the heartaches, heart breaks, tears, laughter, messiness, trips to the ER, finding your child asleep under the bed with the dog, first dates, last goodbyes, tantrums, giggles, food fights, painting with shaving cream, waiting up nights when they're out (but not letting them know that you were worried), dancing down the aisles at the grocery store in time to whatever is playing over the loud speaker, car songs, camp songs, prayers, school assemblies, concerts, SATs, etc. - there will come a time when your nest is empty.  But it's not really.  It's just bigger and being shared in other households.  And it will all pay off when, as an adult, one of your kids comes to you and says, "Thanks, Mom.  You were - no! are - a good mother." 

THAT is my reward.  And continues to be so.

No comments:

Post a Comment