Wednesday, May 16, 2012

I Have Survived! Hey! Hey!

All you cats, critters, etc. can come out of hiding from around Jackson Middle School.  The residents of the neighborhood can remove the cotton balls & ear plugs. Birds can now return to their nests and resume singing to their hearts content. Katydids, crickets, toads and frogs – return to your evening serenades.

The orchestra concert is over. We survived.

After last night I've decided that being a music teacher - especially those that deal with teaching instruments - has got to be one of the hardest jobs ever.  Having to teach notes, time signatures, keys & key changes, phrasing, etc. to a bunch of kids has got to be near-by impossible.  I'd go stark raving mad having to listen to the same 32 measures of music (if you can call it that) over and over - ad nauseum.  And I certainly would be plenty of nauseum at the end of the day. 

"Ackkkk!" as Bill the Cat used to say. 

I'm not smart enough to look at a piece of music for band or orchestra and figure out exactly what they're playing, when to stop and start, and follow the conductor.  Singing is SO much easier.  And certainly more fun for me. 

I do play the piano.  But I'm not passionate about it.  I'm grateful that my folks gave me the opportunity to learn.  I don't necesarily have a gift or talent for it, but I can get through most hymns and Primary songs.  Well, sort of.  They are semi-recognizable and no one stops singing if I make a mistake.  Thankfully the sisters that I accompany are not as hard on me as I am on myself.

But I digress.

Kudos to all band & orchestra kids everywhere.  And thanks to the teachers & conductors that share their talents & time to doing what they're so good at.  And gratitude to family members that support their kids in their endeavors. 

And a-one and a-two . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment