Tuesday, May 22, 2012

He Took Me out to a Ball Game

Got to spend a lovely evening with SIL, 3 Gkids, and 1 adopted son.  Oh, yeah – DH was along for the ride as well.  We got free tickets to spend an evening at QuikTrip Ballpark in the lovely metropolis of Grand Prairie to watch a game of baseball.  Well, actually, there was a lot more attention paid to the visiting than to the baseball.  But isn’t that what baseball is all about? 

As I ‘splained to a friend that had never been to a baseball game – the evening can be perfection.  You sit in the shade and, if lucky, a cool gentle wind makes its way down the breezeway over the crowd.  Friends & family sit together visiting & having a gay old time.  Every now and again we might pay attention to what’s going on down on the field.  But it’s mostly about who you’re with.  And if you’re lucky – the action on the field gets our attention from time to time when someone hits a homerun.  Or makes a great play.

Last night one poor gentleman got more participation than he anticipated. A foul ball came flying across the field, hit the dug out right in front of us, bounced into the crowd – and hit the guy right in the middle of his forehead. He was OUT!!!  And it didn’t take an umpire to figure that out.  I called 911. DH herded traffic and guided the EMS techs down into the section where they gathered the guy up and took him to the ER.  I hope he wasn’t seriously hurt.  But after that incident some folks got up and moved to higher seats – hopefully out of the range of any more baseball shaped missiles.  Next time I may take a glove.  Not that I’d be able to catch anything but at least I’d be able to cover my head if a ball comes my way.

A good time was had by most.  The only exception to our evening of bliss was the rowdy, presumably drunk, guy sitting across the aisle from us.  I would not have minded the ball landing on his noggin.  I didn’t realize that there was someone on this earth with a bigger voice than my DH.  This guy is NOT blessed with dulcet tones.  Rather nasally and crude, rude and socially unacceptable. 

Next time I’ll request the non-boozy section far from the maddening crowd of oafs.  We can make enough noise on our own without liquid courage (or noisemaker).

Swing batter!

No comments:

Post a Comment